Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Can one really be older than they are?

I talk about Addie a lot. I know, I need to focus on Alec just as much too. And, Yes, I do, but sometimes it's hard not to notice Addie even more. She is not a typical 6 year old little girl. She acts much older, wiser. She was in the top percentile of her Kindergarten class. Achieving higher than first grade levels. MY daughter, who is only 6. Is this a good thing? I know one thing, it's kind of scary for me. She does not like playing with kids her own age. She can be surrounded by kids her own size and then that one person of higher maturity, and where do you find her, Yep, right there, with that older person. Boy or Girl. She probably has every toy you can think of-yet she plays with none. You walk into her room, or wherever shes at, and you will see a book in one hand, attempting to read and a pen in the other, scribbling anything her mind lets her. Any conversations and facial expressions are far more mature than most little girls I know. Maybe this is the new thing for this day and age but I am a little nervous about it. Shoot-I played barbies until probably 13-when, I then, quickly set into "Adulthood". But tonight, Alec stayed at a cousins house and Addie was home with us. My neighbor girl has been begging to stay the night for along time now. She's autistic-but I love her. She's 10-in fact, just turned 10 yesterday. But, her sickness has obviously held her back a little. Thus-she acts "younger". She doesn't interest Addie at all. She comes over quite a bit. Most of the time, uninvited and walks right through the door, but, I chuckle every time (if Dan and I are ever alone, we better lock the door..j/k). She loves Addie's room. She can be in there for hours so content, we forget shes there. Well, tonight was perfect because, Addie has not been herself since the surgery, so shes calm and collective. The meds are wearing her out so shes a normal 6 year old(outside of sleeping alot). Addie has actually been paying attention the the neighbor girl all night! My daughter, is the pickiest eater I have ever meet, and compared to me this is rare! She hates bread, but loves peanut butter. Tonight, she is hungry. Sick of eating the same Ole soft foods she has been eating for nearly a week. The girls decided on PB sandwiches. I wanted to make this fun so Addie would eat bread again after today, Ah ha..cookie cutters. I gave each girl a cookie cutter and let them make their own sandwiches. I am in heaven. Does it really take getting tonsils out to be a normal 6 year old who is willing to eat bread. In any essence, this is another pro added to the list in helping me ease the pain before getting this massive bill I am about to receive!
May I add-Addie enjoyed every bit of her hearts and butterflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment